Thursday 5 March 2009

Drum Roll

Photobucket
I've been asking myself a question over the last few days, weeks perhaps. Why do I keep blogging?

Don't get me wrong here, I obviously enjoy the photography and blogging is the best way (in my mind) to share images with other people. What I'm getting at is the compulsion to blog every day.

I know people that have done an image a day for a long time and in the end took a step back and slowed it down to three or four times a week. I've blogged every day since the beginning of October 2008 and only missed a day because of a power cut. Before that I blogged as and when I could but it gradually increased as my confidence with the camera increased now I feel a compulsion to put an image up every day. Am I going through a phase where I'll burn myself out and then take a layoff, or drop it down to less postings per week? Would anyone notice if I didn't do it apart from me? Do I sacrifice quality for quantity?

So really I'm just asking a question as I know that a lot of my readers post every day too. How do you keep it going? What drives you to post every day? Do you take time off and come back fresh or just keep on going? Let me know your thoughts.

The image today is a Drum Major's mace. It brought back memories for me as I tried a stint at being a Drum Major. My lasting memory is that we were out doing a carnival and the band thought it'd be very funny to turn around en route so when I counter marched the band were halfway down the road coming back towards me with stupid grins on their faces, buggers! I went back to being a bugler pretty quickly ;O)

CM2009

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not sure about burning out because I dont take pictures that often, but I for one would miss your ramblings so keep them up and oh how funny your band days were...
We did have such a good time!
Sam x

Anonymous said...

Buenos reflejos, me gusta la idea...buena iluminacion.
Saludos.

Anonymous said...

awwww, don't go away!! i think about that too... i just took 3 days off... for me, i post ahead, so i don't have the pressure of posting every day, i process when i feel like it and enjoy it... but lately i'm not so ahead and wonder what will happen at crunch time.. i know i won't be able to do it forever, but i will keep it up as long as i can...

Anonymous said...

First off fantastic shot, awesome reflections,

On blogging I think it for me is really what you get out of it as much as anything, if your finding the compulsion to post every day getting to you and lessening the enjoyment you get out of then you need to make a change to get the fun back I say

I have been thinking the same I also have an account on flickr and post two shots a day there snd somedays its taking to much of my time and I am considering slowing down a bit and keep the enjoyment of shooting and blogging there for me

If you decide to post less than daily, will miss seeing your shot and words everyday but will enjoy the days you do post :)

Cheers

Anonymous said...

I Enjoy readying your words of wisdom everyday. it reminds me that there are still some like minded souls out there...
and many great memories of the band
Suz

Anonymous said...

I think there is a big difference between a blog and a photoblog.
It's very hard to keep posting daily posts for a photoblog. You just needs a huge stock of good enough photos to fill the interest of your readers.
There are thousands of photoblogs around and the only way to make you stand out from the crowd is your own "photographic" language and quality.
I'm being general not implying lack of quality to your blog , of course :)
I post a weekly post. Seems it works for the meantime :)

Anonymous said...

I think there is a big difference between a blog and a photoblog.
It's very hard to keep posting daily posts for a photoblog. You just needs a huge stock of good enough photos to fill the interest of your readers.
There are thousands of photoblogs around and the only way to make you stand out from the crowd is your own "photographic" language and quality.
I'm being general not implying lack of quality to your blog , of course :)
I post a weekly post. Seems it works for the meantime :)