Tuesday 27 October 2009

Ghost Train

Photobucket
I was hoping for a better day and it started out pretty well..........

I was doing a job I have done literally thousands of times over the last twenty odd years. I won't go into detail but it involves a large kitchen knife and rolling an item to trim off the excess. I slipped and put the knife into my middle finger of my left hand with all the pressure of my right arm. Stupid! Now a million jobs are far more difficult or impossible.

Don't get me wrong, I know it'll heal up but it did make me think about the disabilities that people cope with on a permanent basis. It's amazed me just how much I use that digit, even typing this is difficult. I remember my brother losing his big toe through an infection and telling me how it affected your balance greatly. He eventually lost his leg below the knee and had a terrible time trying to adjust, never really did. Sometimes when we're having a bad day and moaning about it (just as I was yesterday) we should really stop and think for a moment.....

The image then. We were lucky enough to take a steam train ride whilst away this year, it was fantastic, I felt like a five year old. I shot quite a few frames and this was one. It was suggested to me a while back that textured images are sometimes used as an excuse to cover up a bad image, I don't agree, this frame was just fine. I just happen to like to use textures now and again, with Halloween coming up this weekend I thought this had an appropriately ghostly feel ;)

Let me know your thoughts as always.

CM2009

7 comments:

Elaine- said...

oh Craig!!!! your poor finger!!! ALL the weight of your other arm??? you're lucky you didn't lose it!! I'm so sorry for you, poor craigy waigy, and i'm sorry about your brother too... and i doooo appreciate the lovely comment you left for me... i know what you mean about appreciating the little things, i do, but that doesn't mean i don't whine when something goes wrong!!! so feel free to whine at me :) and who said textures were for bad images, lemme at 'em.. lemme at 'em

SteveO said...

That's a really cool shot, I love the movement, nice job on the texturing too.

Belizarie said...

I really like this kind of representation.

martie said...

Craig - I love this shot and the title is perfect. The processing is wonderful, really makes it perfect. And your finger! I hope it heals quickly!

Bob Towery said...

Absolutely brilliant image. Like something Hollywood effects would come up with. Everything about it is great, the shot itself (which could have only lasted for a fraction of a second) and the treatment. One to be PROUD of!

Framed and Shot said...

This does not look like a cover-up operation. The result is great and we agree that textures (grain mostly in our case) can add to an already worthwhile capture, but not save a useless one.

How is the finger?

Yvonne said...

interesting processing in this image!